Friday, December 7, 2012

Tarryn's Trip...Part 1

Tarryn and I recently took a trip to Los Angeles. Tarryn had worked hard and earned enough money to buy a plane ticket. So for her birthday this year we told her that we would buy my ticket and the two of us would go on a trip together.
 
She had never been on an airplane before so that was a huge deal. Our airport is rather small. Okay really small. One security check, six gates, one small shop, you can walk the whole thing in about 5 minutes. Of course, never being past security before, she wanted to see it all. Thank goodness we had plenty of time. As we got back to our gate I told her a little about LAX. I have never been there before but I knew that it was much larger than our airport. So I had to laugh we went got off the plane in LA.
 
She looked around and asked, "Are you sure we are in the airport? It looks like we are in the mall!"
Tarryn picked Los Angeles because they have an American Girl store and we have family near there so we would have a place to stay and cousins to play with. I must say that I didn't complain that she wanted to go to the American Girl store. I still enjoy playing sewing for my doll that I got so many years ago. And yes Dad, she sits on my sewing table and hangs out with me.
 
First thing we did was drop Molly (Tarryn's doll) off at the salon to get her ears pierced. Then I let Tarryn lead the way. She went to every display, looked at every doll, every pair of shoes, and so on and so on. Then we went upstairs and did it all again with new displays. I must say, part of what I love is the historical factor that American Girl brings to their dolls. Yes they have the ones that you can design to look like you but most of them are a real girl that lived in a certain time in the past.
 
So upstairs is where they have the historical girls displays. They have a room for each girl. Of course we had to go to Mollly's. Molly is a young girl that lived in 1944 during World War 2. You read her stories and learn what a young girl would have done during that time.
I could totally go back and spend hours here. It was that fun. I almost think I had more fun than Tarryn did.
 
The store is located in The Grove in LA. Basically just a shopping center. We ate lunch at the Farmer's Market there and enjoyed the Christmas displays. 
 
This tree was nothing like I had ever seen before. You can tell that I don't spend much time in the "city." We first saw the tree from the top of a parking structure. It was gigantic. Then we got closer. It was even more gigantic. Just the wall that surrounds it was taller than Tarryn and I couldn't even get the whole tree in the picture. We took a peek inside that wall. I wanted to know if that tree was brought in or if it grew there. It was brought in. There were four or five electrical boxes in there to light it up, the ornament were large and the tree was full of them. I was kind of sad that we saw it in the daylight. I am sure that it is beautiful at night, all lit up.
 
We timed it just right to hear the clock at chime at 10. The men turn and bang the bells for each hour. You don't see things like this in our little town.
 
Also from the parking structure we could see the Hollywood sign. You know the one. Look close. We didn't exactly have the best weather while we were there.
 
We really had a great time. Can't wait to go back!

No comments: